Sunday, September 14, 2014

Le Poivron Bleu, Lyon, France

At this time of writing, Le Poivron Bleu is #1 on Tripadvisor, and only 28 for a 3 course dinner, and was close to the place I was staying which was right next to the train station, which is precisely why I chose to go there.  I made a reservation, and this was possibly necessary, because there were 2 walk ins and then others were turned away.

I had the smoked salmon as an appetizer, which was recommended by the owner/chef of the restaurant.  It was very good but I always ask myself why I would eat smoked salmon at a restaurant since I can get it at a store, and again it happens.  Very very fresh, I don't usually take mine with cream sauce so it was interesting, but I probably would not do that again.

For the main course, I was recommended the chicken, smoked by the owner/chef himself.  It did not taste that smokey and was a good piece of meat, no doubt, but not all that special.  It sat on a bed of mashed potatoes and topped with rocket, and had a cream sauce, which was all good but not that special.  Might even have been a bit bland for some, though I eat very bland so I did not mind it too much.

The dessert was titled vacherin, which has something to do with cow.  What I think it was is whipped a bed of red fruit (I identified and remembered raspberries and teeny cherries) and meringue with whipped cream on top (probably from cow milk?) and a scoop of mine ice cream.  I quite enjoyed this one, though I think the Asian mother-daughter couple close by seemed absolutely infatuated with it.  While it was good, their love for it seemed a bit much for me.  There was a pain perdu, or French toast, on the menu, which the chef recommended, but I already made and ate French toast that morning and I thought I would pass.  The Asians kept calling it lost bread - the literal translation - which amused me.

Overall it was a good solid restaurant, perhaps I ordered the wrong thing, or I'm just too used to amazingly fresh meats, seafood and produce in San Francisco, that this failed to amaze me.  I definitely would not be coming back, but if you are in need of a solid meal with very good ingredients, I think I kind of endorse it.


No comments:

Post a Comment