Friday, September 19, 2014

France Days 16 and 17 - Discover Dijon Part 3

I have one last fairly innane story, not related to Dijon, that I wanted to share.  I ended up spending my last night not in the Paris airport but at my friend's AirBNB apartment.  I had to take the RER train into the airport from Musée d'Orsay.  For some reason, my credit card which had worked in the machine the previous night was not walking this very night.  It was 6.30am and there was one shop in the train station and the guy claimed he had no coins (machine only takes coins) and he had no credit card to help me purchase my ticket, but he told me that I could just walk into the gates because the door was unlocked and it was too early to have a ticket police come catch me.  So I was desperate, and that's what I did.  When I got to the airport, I needed a ticket to exit, but I saw these people who I think are employees going through this different turnstile, and two of them went into this booth-like thing at the same time, and then another gate would open to let them out.  There were only two people left, and I really did not know what was going on, so I crammed in with them, and they looked at me like I was mad or weird.  Bottom line is I made it out and my wonderful luck throughout my French adventure continued - no fines, no trouble, no having to cry and lie to ticket folks.

Without further ado, here is the last part of the Owl Walking Tour.

16.  Mairie or mayor's office

17.  Place de la Libération - beautiful large square

18.  Palais de Justice

19.  Place St-Fiacre - now I'm not sure whether this was intended to be in the tour but I did not see anything around.  It was not particularly special.

20.  Théâtre Dijon Bourgogne

21.  Église Saint-Philibert de Dijon

22.  Cathédrale Saint-Bénigne de Dijon

Other random things around.

a.  I wanted this champagne Magnum ice cream and had to hunt all around town to get it and was finally successful.  It was shiny silver!  Did not love the champagne taste that much but overall ice cream makes one happy!  :-)

b.  I went running in a less touristy part of Dijon outside the main city center on a path called Promenade de l'Ouche or coulée verte which took me out to Lake Kir.  Also passed by Moses Well which is supposed to be famous.  I thought this was pretty and wanted to share.


c.  Cute owl toy!

d.  Lastly, wanted to share some wine wisdom from a placemat.  The picture is crooked but I've been walking and waiting and sitting trains for over a day straight (actually for over 2 weeks) and am tired so it will have to do.

Well, this marks the end of the Mushroom's great French adventure!  I'm excited to be home for a while, but also contemplating the next one.  :-)  Au revoir, la France!

No comments:

Post a Comment