Wednesday, September 17, 2014

France Day 15 - Wine Tasting in the Bourgogne region

We did a full day wine tasting tour with Burgundy Discovery for the premier cru tour.  It cost a lot but this was the one thing Metroman wanted to do so off we went.  In general, the tour was informative, interesting and well run.  They vary the tour each time, as well as the lunch place based on where they are going on tour, what kind of tour their clients want, how many days the clients are touring, etc, so it's somewhat personalized.  I bet if I told them I loved a certain wine they would accommodate.  However I think the price was rather outrageous.  Supposedly the company gets access to some wineries we otherwise would not, but for a novice like me it was not a big deal.

The nice thing about this tour was that I am starting to taste some flavours and what not.  Maybe just being less uptight than yesterday, or a day more experienced, really helped.  :-)

Here are some pictures that I thought were pretty and interesting since they are all repeating objects.  Thought the two crushed grapes pictures were interesting and different from the beautiful bunch of grapes.

During the tour, we went to two wineries, followed by lunch.  The first winery, Henri de Villamont, was not bad, and I bought a red wine for Lingon.  The second, Nadine et Rémi Marcillet, for which I could not find a website, I actually thought was not fabulous but we were treated to a different kind of grape, aligoté, as well as crème de cassis (which was not made by them), which together make the famous French aperitif kir.  I really enjoyed the aligoté wine by itself which was very easy to drink, and the kir, so I got them both, otherwise the other wines were not remarkable.

We took a nice long lunch break, post found here.

Last wine tasting at Domaine Debray, I must admit I was really over it.  I had eaten too much, and drank too much, and all the wines for the most part tasted the same to me.  There was one wine I really liked, but sadly I ran out of luggage space.  :-(  We even got to taste some grand cru!  Frankly I liked the lower grade wine better, but it was cool to have tried grand cru!  Dominique at this winery conducted our tour and he was very lively and interesting and funny.

Here are the wine labels we tasted.  The one I really liked in the third winery did not have an official label, which was a bit ironic and funny to me.

Well, that's all, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment