Wednesday, September 17, 2014

La Gremelle, Ladoix Serrigny, France

We were taken to La Gremelle restaurant during our wine tasting tour.  It is not rated as a restaurant on Tripadvisor (but is rated for its hotel).

We were treated to Gougère, a French choux bread baked with cheese, which was tasty.  Also, the table bread was wonderful and though I had vowed off bread many times, I ate a ton.  Story of my life.  We ordered from the Capture of Burgundy menu.  Here is what we ordered, which between us was pretty much the whole menu except for the jambon persillé.
Escargots/snails, which was not bad, the sauce is parsley butter according to the website but I swear there was a ton of garlic in it, and it was delicious to dip our bread in it.
Oeufs meurette, which is poached eggs in a red wine sauce with onions, mushrooms and bacon.  I had this at a Bouchon in Lyon, but I think this version was much better since the red wine sauce was nicely reduced and had a greater flavour.
Bresse chicken, which I later found out is specifically a chicken from the region, with époisses sauce (rich creamy cheese) and gratin Dauphinois which is basically yummy cheesy potatoes.  This was outstanding.  The chicken was really tender and the sauce was so rich and creamy (just like the cheese!) and delicious, I had to prevent myself from mopping it all up.  I have wanted gratin Dauphinois for a while on this trip too so I was glad to have it and it was good!
Beef Bourguignon which was served with pasta.  I thought this dish was very sad so I won't discuss.
Poached pear with pear ice cream.  I liked the ice cream but I think I'm not wild about red wine sauces.
Gingerbread, or pain d'épices, which I did not love, but it came with a ginger ice cream which was great.

Overall, I enjoyed the meal.  It was a disgusting amount of food, after drinking a disgusting amount of wine, but with exception of the beef Bourguignon, everything was good to great.  Definitely if this place is near by where you would be wine tasting, I would recommend going to.  That's my Michelin rating for this place.  ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment