Wednesday, September 17, 2014

France Days 12, 13, 14 and 15 - Beaune, France

Beaune is a small city in the Côte d'Or department and Burgundy region.  It is supposedly the place to start out one's discovery of the Burgundy wines.

We stayed at Hotel de la Cloche.  It was a very serviceable hotel, decent sized rooms, clean and near the train station and city center.  Everything we could ask for.  At 105 €/night, split with another, I really can't complain.

Everyone recommends going to the Hospices de Beaune or Hôtel-Dieu de Beaune.  This was a hospital founded in the 15th century by the duke of Burgundy for the poor and sick who could not afford healthcare.  It really is a very beautiful building, and according to the audio tour the duke spared no expense in building it.  I'm not sure if somehow the audio tour was lost in translation when made in English, but it really made the duke seem like he wanted to build the hospital so, put very simply, he could go to heaven.  He and his wife were "narrating" the tour, and she would say things like "oh you're so wonderful for building this, don't be so modest", and then he would be like "yeah I suppose you are right, this is a really amazing thing I have done, if I could say so myself".  I was not wild about this duke.  But, he did build this amazing thing and conduct very charitable deeds.  Here is the building.  The audio tour, though very comprehensive, was very long, and I got sort of bored to death midway through.

Beaune itself is a small quaint city (seems to be a lot of these).  Here are some of my photos.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment