Friday, September 19, 2014

France Days 16 and 17 - Discover Dijon Part 1

I am very mixed about how I feel that my very long French adventure is coming to an end.  On one hand I have these 4 damned bottles of wine I have to lug around with me that I will be supremely happy to get rid of.  A better reason is that I also have been away for more than 2 weeks, I miss my home, my shower, my laundry, my knowledge that all the surfaces in my house are clean and disinfected, and the list goes on and on.  On the other hand, I've had a grand ol' time, my French is better than it has ever been, I've visited some beautiful cities and done some fabulous things, had some crazy adventures, spent some good quality time with myself achieving my goals, and I will be sad that this has to end.

I was in Dijon for a day, which was supposed to be my last stop, which made me very sad.  However, I found out that a dear friend was in Paris and since I was passing through Paris anyway I met up with her!  What chance life brings.  That was a nice conclusion to the trip and it gave me some closure that I ultimately have a very happy life in SF and it is time to go back!

In Dijon, we stayed at Kyriad Hotel Dijon Gare, which was literally right across the street from the train station, and super duper convenient.  The room was well laid out to accommodate 2 single beds.  Tripadvisor people kept complaining it was small, but what were they expecting?  The hotel had a tiny gym and a very psychedelic pool, and the room had dimmers.  Very high tech.

I did the Owl Walking Tour while in Dijon.  You can get a city map with the route, but have to pay 3.50 € which I did not want to, so I'm not so sure all my pictures and descriptions are correct.  I managed to get a picture of all the owls except for one too so I'm quite proud of myself.  Altogether there were 22 stops (a few others on extra routes they added which I did not follow) and you follow owl arrows on the ground.  Here are the first few.

1.  Place Darcy/Jardin Darcy - there's this cute bear sculpture there and I got one of it in the day and night.  :-)

2.  Hotel La Cloche - just found out it's a Sofitel while googling.  Pretty.

3.  Porte Guillaume

4.  Postal building

5.  Les Halles - food/produce market

More to come!

2 comments:

  1. Hello my name is Rodrigo and I'm going to Dijon in June, and I was interested in doing the Owl Walking Tour.
    I read your comment on Trip advisor following this link so here I am!
    I wanted to know whether to pay for the tour or if it is for free; and if you know the points of interest that have the tour I would be very Thanked if you could posted them.

    Thanks,

    Rodrigo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rodrigo! The tourist office will give you a book for 5 euros or something, but I don't know there really was a tour. The points of interest are listed in my post! Let me know if you need more help. :-)

    ReplyDelete