Sunday, September 14, 2014

Food, Lyon, France

Outside of the two restaurants and the ice cream shop, here are some pictures and mayhaps some helpful commentary of food I have seen or eaten here in Lyon.  This is a happy place for fatsos like myself.

Just some random finds of food.  Of course, Paul, which is everywhere.  I got a quiche for breakfast after a run, which was OK.  You can always count on Paul to not be bad.  Next on I went to this pirate sweet shop, which is one of those places with buckets of nonsense and you fill up a bag.  The bright yellow things are tennis balls, and I had thought of my friend Chewy when I saw these.  They don't look as cool in the picture, but if you are able to blow it up to have a good look, it's actually really cool.  They had all kinds of other things too, like peeled bananas, that looked super real.  I hit up this market at Quai Saint-Antoine in the very early afternoon, which could have been winding down, and got this praline brioche bread.  I did some research online and this pink praline is made using food colouring, which made it less special for me, but still cool anyway, I suppose.  They have all these rotisserie chicken stalls which made me think of Roli Roti in San Francisco, so I took a picture of that.

Les Halles de Lyon de Paul Bocuse.  I'll be honest, I did not know he was famous before I read about this market, and then I was like, who is this Paul Bocuse guy.  So he's famous and he has this hall of artisanal food.

I got the strawberry mille feuille from Maison Victoire, thinking it was praline, but it was not.  Not bad.  I also got the canelé from there which I did not enjoy quite that much.  I later got another from Boulangerie De L'Ile Barbe and confirmed I did not like it, which is weird because I have had some before and enjoyed them, though I would say the latter version was better.  Got a sablé with pralines from there, a tarte aux pralines from Délices des Sens and a St Marcelin cheese which is supposed to be very creamy from Fromagerie La Mère Richard where it is supposed to be famous, all at Les Halles which I have not tried yet.  And then I got a rice pudding and rosette (which is Lyonnais but I did not want to get a whole sausage) from Carrefour and I cannot wait to share them with Metroman who is on his way to meet me now!  (As an aside, though my French has improved tremendously since getting to France, which was much of the whole point anyway, I am really looking forward to speaking English to someone.)

Now there was a line outside Boulangerie du Palais, #392 on Tripadvisor, both times that I was there.  A quick Google revealed their brioche aux pralines were the thing to get there.  I already got one the day before, and I did not love it, plus I knew I was going to get another ice cream.  Otherwise, I would have tried it.  From where I hail, long lines mean something, but I'll save this one for next time.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment