Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Le Goret, Beaune, France

We went to Le Goret for dinner, #3 on Tripadvisor.  This restaurant serves almost exclusively pork food, with the exception of foie gras (both in the actual liver as well as pate form).  The restaurant does not have a website, nor are the hours found easily online.  It is open:
Tuesday for dinner at 7.30pm
Wednesday for lunch at 12.00pm and dinner at 7.30pm
Thursday for lunch at 12.00pm
Friday for lunch at 12.00pm and dinner at 7.30pm
Saturday for lunch at 12.00pm and dinner at 7.30pm

The restaurant owner/boss-seeming person, Jose, also somehow known on Tripadvisor as Monsieur, is a big man.  Here are some pictures of him in the kitchen cooking, manning the counter and reading out the menu written on the wall.

There is no written menu, only a menu written in chalk on one of the walls.  On the menu for this night were, to the best of my French knowledge:
Trilogie - 2 types of sausage (some Lyon sausage and another with truffle) and bacon - 24
Pork chop and foie gras (pate) - 25
Ham thing (someone on Tripadvisor called it pork steak) with epoisse cheese - 19
Pork trotters - 24
Andouilette which I believe is a kind of sausage with foie gras (actual) - 25
Pork bourguignon - 21
They serve red and white wine by the bottle and rose by the glass.  Metroman got a rose glass for 4 €.
Here is a (poor) picture of it.

Tripadvisor customers say reservations are necessary.  We went right at 7.30pm (actually we went 10 minutes early and there was NO one and I was convinced the restaurant would not be open and was really bummed, but at 7.30pm promptly there were people in it!  Magic!) and managed to get a seat.  We were there until 8.30pm, and there were only 5 parties in the restaurant and plenty of space.  Granted it was a Tuesday night, perhaps we got lucky.

There were enough items on the menu that I knew I could get away with ordering something different from Metroman.  I originally wanted the pork chop, but he wanted that so I got the trilogie with a side of foie (actual).  Instead of foie (pate), he opted for the truffle sausage.  We both really enjoyed our meals, though I would say I was glad I did not get the pork chop because I did not like it as I found it rather bland.  Our food came with a side of salad and potatoes.  The salad was simple, just lettuce with a tasty dressing.  I don't want to know how the potatoes were prepared, but they were delicious and the skin was really crispy.  I REALLY loved the bacon.  My foie gras was on a piece of gross soggy bread, so I removed the bread.  It still remained a pretty subpar piece of foie gras, but I was craving it so it did the work.  I did a great job on mine, I think Metroman did not do such a great job on his.  ;-)  Our neighbours, 3 men from Belgium, all got the trotters.  Here are our pictures.

Overall it was a delicious meal.  Nothing refined or bourguignon about it, just a good solid huge ass meal.  I had a great time because it was yummy and kind of a fun relaxed atmosphere and not too crowded, but don't expect white tablecloth service or anything.  Just good ol' solid pork.

No comments:

Post a Comment