Friday, September 5, 2014

France Day 3 - Avignon and Annecy

I spent the night before doing some meticulous planning, but that took a lot of time, so I did not get to do bed until very late, and woke up late, so all the planning was kind of a waste.  I had wanted to go to Carrières de Lumières since I missed it the day before and Saint-Rémy-de-Provence to see more Van Gogh stuff, but I guess there was zero chance now.  To think I was planning to do all that stuff I did yesterday plus these today.  I'm overly ambitious.

Anyhow, there was still Avignon!  On y danse!  Well, I did not really dance.  I did walk down a small slope to the river bank and almost slip, if one can call that dancing, I suppose.



I went to La Fourchette recommended by my friend partly because no one else recommended me anything, partly because the online menu had brandade.  As luck would have it, I parked right next to the restaurant!  After touring, I went back to eat, and guess what, no brandade.  Already seated and eating the bread, I did not want to walk out (and that's embarrassing anyway), so I asked for Provençal food recommendations.  Tomate ananas, or pineapple tomato, was recommended to me, with smoked fish (I later translated and it was whiting).  I had no clue really what I ordered, but when it came it was amazingly delicious.  The tomato was juicy and sweet.

Then to Annecy.  The drive was long, more than 3 hours.  I returned the rental car, got picked up by my French teacher (yes, I'm finally taking French classes in France!!).  Drove along the lake for a bit, which is SPECTACULAR.  I cannot wait to run there!  My host made me a salad with goat cheese, and I'm slowly becoming a goat cheese fan!  Lots of salads in the past 2 days.  Not typically me but they have actually been really good and hopefully I'm losing weight!  I am told the region I am in, which is Rhône-Alpes, is one for cheese and meat.  Yum!

Driven:  407.3km

No comments:

Post a Comment