Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Arriving in Paris and traveling by TGV out of Charles de Gaulle Airport

Timing
My flight touched down at 10.30am and we exited a plane in terminal 1 around 10.50am.  the immigration officer did not even so much as look at my passport, and stamped me through.  All I said to him was "bonjour", then "merci".  All he said to me was... nothing.  2pm.  Did not check bags so got out in about 10 mins.  Tried to find a SIM card, told to go to the "Relay" store, but was told they did not have it for iPhone 5 and I had to go to paris for this.  Had to take a free connecting train accessed by the lifts/elevators, down one floor to terminal 2 (connects to all 3 terminals) which took about 5 mins, and made it to the station by 11.20pm.

Train tickets
I had purchased a train ticket for 1.58pm, but knew there was an 11.58am train.  Annoyed because i had purchased late, only the day before, so the price was the same as if I bought at the station (did not know this before arriving at the station).  Thankfully I could change my ticket for a €12 fee with some credit issued to me.  I guess a bird in hand is better (i.e. my slightly more expensive ticket with a reserved seat), in case the train was full, and booking a train a little over an hour after one's flight arrives is a bit risky, so I would probably have to recommend booking your ticket especially during peak season and paying the change fee, if applicable.

I purchased my ticket on https://www.capitainetrain.com/.  This website is good if you do not have a credit card with a pin.  Otherwise you can book on http://www.voyages-sncf.com/ which requires a credit card with a pin when picking up your ticket.  I am told the price is supposedly the same and I checked this for my tickets and that is indeed the case.  I was offered 2 classes of fares, loisir and pro.  Loisir is a bit more restrictive which I booked.  Pro gives you a free change option after your train has already departed up to a certain time.  In the https://www.capitainetrain.com/ site, it took me a while but they do offer the pro ticket option.

When purchasing tickets, sometimes it says you need to print it out.  The lady next to me was told she needed to print out her ticket while on the train, which was obviously impossible, and she tried to show the driver her phone but he was able to look her up by DOB on his machine anyway.  Obviously I don't guarantee anything, and it is safer to do as the ticketing website says, but just in case you are unable to print, don't be tooooo worried.

When purchasing your ticket on WEBSITE, depending on what country you choose, they may redirect you.  For the US, you will be redirected to raileurope.com.  This is bad because prices are slightly higher and supposedly for the TGV you supposedly cannot reserve seats.  I just choose France as my country.  Or Singapore.

Look up your train number on the board and find your track. And be sure to get there early since the trains seem to leave on time.

I took the high speed train, TGV, to Aix-en-Provence TGV station, which is outside the city itself.  I did not know this at the time, but the connection that I purchased to the city was a bus connection, not a train.  You would have to get off the train, go across the bridge, and walk to the back of the station down a staircase.  Once you exit the station, the bus stop is right there which will take you directly to the city.

Wifi The airport has wifi, and you have to provide your name, email address and country of residence.  Check the accept terms box, but you do not have to check the box to get emails from airline partners.  Watch the video which is 12 seconds long and then you will be connected!

SIM cards
Like I mentioned, the "Relay" store sells these but as far as I know not for iPhone 5.  There was one in terminal 1 in the area outside security.  If you are unsure about making your train. There is another "Relay" at the train station should you find yourself with enough time there, though it too does not sell SIM cards for iPhone 5.


I got to Aix-en-Provence and found an Orange store and purchased a SIM card for €10, and 300MB data, unlimited French SMS and supposedly €20 of phone calls (though I have not made a single call and I think the balance says <€5 left).

ATM
HSBC had no fees.  I read somewhere too the French banks are not allowed to charge ATM fees, so any fees would come from your own financial institution.

Bienvenue en France!

No comments:

Post a Comment