Saturday, August 23, 2014

Peru Day 4 - Lake Titikaka and Puno

Our hotel provided breakfast.  Pretty standard with cereals, bread, fruit, yoghurt, etc.  They also have coca tea so we made sure to have that to try to combat our headaches and various weaknesses.

Today we decided to take a tour of Lake Titikaka.  The tour picked us up at 6.50am.  We were all so tired.  Here is a picture of Puno from the harbour area.  There were cute paddle boats in a pond adjacent to the make that looked gross and full of algae.  The tour was S/. 75.

Our first stop was to the floating reed islands of Uros.  We went to one of the islands and the president of that island, who was but 23 years old, talked to us (and our guide translated in Spanish) about their way of life.  These islands last about 25 years (that island we were on was 25 years old so I was crossing my fingers we would not sink in!).  These man-made islands are constructed with mud and reeds.  They showed us the inside of their houses, and we got to see some of the crafts they made.

Next we visited the island of Taquille.  We went to the main square where they were honouring a chief justice that Dawg and Zito sat next to and chatted with on the plane from Lima to Puno.  There were these cool brick arches they build along the walkway, perhaps welcoming visitors there.  We had lunch which consisted of quinoa soup, grilled and steamed flounder, and a vegetarian omelette.  Not too bad tasting.  We sat on a balcony with a beautiful view of the shimmering blue lake water and I quite enjoyed that!


After lunch we took a 30-min walk to the other side of the island and caught the boat back to Puno.  Let me make it known that the boat moves very slowly.  So although we were only 35km from Puno, it took us about 3 hours to get back from there.  We spent about 6 hours in the boat which I think is a very long time.  Had we know, I think we would all have chosen to take the faster boat.  Anyhow we just slept on the boat and I suppose that was OK.  I enjoyed the Uros visit, and the Taquille visit was just so-so.  I guess I'm happy to have seen Taquille but Uros was very unique while Taquille seemed like a fair common type of day trip visit that could be done anywhere.  For those wanting to do this independently, we were told Uros was easy to get to with ferries from 9am-6pm, but to get to Taquille posed a challenge since there were no regular boats, just sometimes cargo boats, which may not wait around to take you back.

We had dinner at Mojsa again.  We tried all new dishes - quinoa tabouleh salad, a hearty creole soup, chicken with yellow pepper sauce, lomo saltado and alpaca steak, as planned.  The alpaca tasted like pork.  I was worried it would be too gamey and I would not enjoy it, but I did!  We also got a Puno caramel sandwich, and a Maras (place in Cusco) flourless chocolate cake, which was not as dense as we imagined but rather fluffy.  The food was good, but I feel like Limon in SF provides a much better lomo saltado.  This was our second visit, which I supposed counted for something.  Good solid food in Puno!

Lastly, here is my bruise update for the day.  Looks the same as yesterday.  Maybe I will not continue with this daily bruise update until the look changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment