Thursday, August 7, 2014

Iceland Day 9 - Akureyri, Lake Mývtan and Around

Had a lazy morning.  Have not been sleeping too much but pretty good sleep despite the crappy bed.  Made myself eggs and spinach again, trying to get some protein in the diet. 

Our first stop of the day was Godafoss waterfalls. There are two roads that lead to the falls, we took the first one  (when coming from Akureyri) and there was not much of a walk to get to the falls.  The second road required one to park near the main highway and then maybe a 400m walk (totally estimating here).

Next stop was around Lake Mývtan, which is one of the biggest lakes in Iceland.  The goal was to hike up Vindbelgjarfjall (Mt Vindbelgur).  We were supposed to look for farm Vagnbrekka, which in the easterly direction we were heading in was past the actual parking and trail entrance, so we had to head back.  There are actual signs along the road for both the mountain and the farm, so if you are heading east and you see the farm sign and a bunch of light coloured buildings, you have missed it.  The mountain itself was rather unremarkable.  I walked 1.59 miles and it took me about 39 minutes to get up with a few stops to shed layers.  Rather steep with a fair amount of scree and since my hiking shoes got wet yesterday I was in regular sneakers with poor traction.  Getting to the top, though, the view was remarkable in spite of the dark ugly clouds.  It was very windy and cold up top and there was a pile of rocks on top symbolizing… the top.

Here's a picture of Hog arriving and the view of the back.  We made it!!

Next we passed some pretty hot water spring thing that was I think was being used to generate electricity.  I felt the water and it was not very hot.  It did have beautiful blue water.

For me, the surprise highlight of the day was the geothermal area Hverir by Námaskarð.  They were basically sulphur mudpools.  I don’t describe well, but here are my pictures.

On to Detifoss, which is supposed to be the most powerful waterfall in Europe.  It sure was powerful.  So much spray.  Not very pretty though, as the formation was not spectacular and the water was all muddy.

Our last stop was an attempt to go to the Mývtan Nature Baths which is a natural hot spring.  It was too cold though, so we decided to pass.  Got a good picture of it before we left!  Figured we would go to the Blue Lagoon anyway.

Random photo of Love Balls, which I took in the car. 

When we got back to the apartment, there was still no internet despite the promise.  I got Lingon to call them, and I guess it takes a phone call from the USA for them to get their stuff together.  Hmph.  Well good news is I’m now online! 

Then, dinner at Rub 23 in celebration for my birthday.  Thank you Hog for making us go out!  I was just going to stay in and eat oatmeal but it was nice to eat like a king for once.  Pretty good westernized Japanese food.  There is a branch in Reykjavik too.

Tomorrow we leave Akureyri for another adventure!!

Mileage 327.9km

No comments:

Post a Comment