Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Iceland Day 15 - Reykjavik

Today was a lazy day, one of those I'm-sick-of-running-around-and-don't-want-to-look-at-another-map kind of day.  We returned our rental car, clocked a total of 3,327km.  No wonder we were so sick of being in the car.

We ran a few errands, which included going to the post office.  Mailing a postcard from Reykjavik to Singapore costs 240ISK, which is more than US$2.  I think that's a bit crazy.  But I guess everything costs when your only option is to fly.

I tried to detox (failed miserably, read on to find out more about my failure).  Hog had a croque madame with a well done egg and a mango juice at Laundromat Cafe.  She said it was not bad.

Our only planned activity for the day was snorkeling in the Silfra, which is a fissure between the North American and Eurasian plate.  According to our guide, it is the only place in the world one could swim between two plates.  The water was 2-4 degrees Celsius.  It was the first time I had been in a dry suit and it was really uncomfortable and claustrophobic and smelled weird.  Better than being cold though, as I later learned.  Hog took this photo of me with her GoPro.

Here are some pictures I took of the Silfra, from land.



Here are some pictures Hog took as we were snorkeling.  The water was very clear with various shades of blue and green and turquoise (I just wanted to say that colour because it sounds more sophisticated).


As I mentioned, this water was fricking freezing.  Today was supposed to be a detox day for many reasons, and I had made it through so far with only eating fruit, oatmeal and half a granola bar.  I started out the snorkel feeling quite nice and warm inside the suit, but at some point (thankfully close to the end) I started freezing.  We were promised hot chocolate and cookies, and I probably had 3 giant cups of hot chocolate and 10 cookies after harassing one of the guides to get me out of my suit.  I was feeling very tired, ill, frozen, dizzy and nauseous, especially after the van ride back to the hotel.  Hog made me some instant porridge and noodles (yummers) and that helped my body recover.  But in short, detox did not happen.

Now that this short blog is done, I have to rally to floss.  Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment