Monday, August 4, 2014

Iceland Day 6 - Westfjords (Bildudalur Sea Monster Museum, Dynjandi Waterfalls, Ísafjörður and Súðavík)

Breakfast at Fosshotel Westfjords was pretty standard - scrambled and hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit, cereal, etc., except they had a waffle maker and some nicer looking pastries!  I passed on the pastries and made myself a waffle.  It was the first time I ever used a waffle maker, and I put in a ton of batter, and as I closed the device, the batter oozed over it, and I felt hostile stares and I even heard one lady go "oh my".  Well, whatever, my waffle turned out great and yummy.

Continuing our journey through the Westfjords.  Seemed like a pretty barren land at first, just a bunch of rocks and weeds.  Our first stop, unplanned at that, was at Bildidalur, at the Sea Monster Museum.  I randomly turned into that town, saw that sign, and felt pulled towards it!  A moustached man came out to greet us, and after paying him 1000ISK each, he took us into the museum and started the tour.  Apparently some people here really believe in monsters.  I guess I don't disbelieve.  Apparently according to my travel companion Icelanders believe in elfs and stuff too.  Pretty cool stuff!  He said the last sighting of one particular type of monster was 4 weeks ago, but the family that saw it did not take a picture.  I was not sure whether he was for real or not.  Anyhow, he was nice, and he read to me some text in Icelandic while I tried to figure out the language, but I think it was lost upon me.  Lol.

The next stop was the Dynjandi waterfalls.  Took a nice short walk up to the falls, but otherwise nothing too crazy.

Onto Ísafjörður where our next hotel was, Mánagisting Guesthouse.  Basic looking room, and we apparently have a kitchen and bathroom to ourselves but it's not connected to the room itself.  Seems clean, so that's nice!

We took a short drive to Súðavík which someone said was nice, but it wasn't that nice.  Lol.  So no pictures there.  The drive there was alright pretty.  Overall just a disappointment.

I am ready to leave the Westfjords!  I've had fun but it was not as pretty as I imagined and I want to do some longer walks/hikes.  Hopefully the next stop will give us that!  :-)

Mileage: 235km

No comments:

Post a Comment