Monday, August 4, 2014

Iceland Day 6 - Westfjords, Tjöruhúsið Restaurant in Ísafjörður

I had originally pre-wrote the name and linked the website of the restaurant, and even wrote what I would say if the food was good or bad.  But the fish was so fresh and I took so many pictures that I just had to give it its own blog post!  Some of the pictures turned out blur, maybe I was too excited or something, but I don't think they hamper the post in any way.

So here goes.

Dinner at Tjöruhúsið in Ísafjörður, our first dinner out of Reykjavik.  Supposed to be the best restaurant here and someone's review said it was the best meal in Iceland.  Fish buffet for 5000ISK, so an expensive one.

The restaurant was fully book by the time we got there around 4pm to try to make a reservation but they told us we could sit outside but it might be cold.  They had 2 seatings at 7pm and 9pm and I think each seating sat about 50.  Here is a picture of Hog waiting to get into the soup line right as we approached 7pm.

Then a picture of the interior, I counted around 48 inside, so plus or minus, and we were 6 outside.

Took one of the kitchen.  That is a small kitchen to feed 2 seatings of 50+ people!

We started off with fish soup.  The soup was served in a giant vat.  There was some white fish which, while not super tasty, was very fresh.  I loved the orange fish, which tasted like salmon.  There was also some imitation crab meat-looking things in the first bowl.  I had 2 bowls of soup and just had to show the difference in soup.  I mean they were both delicious, but the second pot yielded much more fish to soup!

The main meal came out.  Here is a picture of the sides.  Most were OK, I liked the barley-ish one.  The name "Icelandic fish stew" scared me but I decided to take the plunge and try it and it was actually quite delicious!
Potato salad, barley, rice (yucks), what seemed like Chinese stir fry veges, salad, mashed potatoes, Icelandic fish stew

Then the mother big pans of fish came out.  I think I got some names, but for the most part they were all just called yummy fish to me.  I rarely am too discerning, but I'd say this is the first time I've had fish where I could taste the freshness.  I spoke to the folks running the place, and the fish are caught fresh everyday from various fishermen from the Ísafjörður area.  Yeah, really fresh.
Trout in blueberry almond sauce, cod cheeks in lemon butter, bacalao in sherry raisin sauce, slowly cooked cod in butter, and the last 2 I have zero idea.

Here were my samplings.  The first plate I took some sides, the second plate I got smart and just took the fish!

Here are 2 pictures of the buffet line.  I just could not stop taking photos!!!


Did not leave hungry!  Best Icelandic meal so far.  Maybe there's hope!  If you are ever in the Westfjords, please do come here, even if it may be a detour, and make a reservation in advance for dinner.  They serve an a la carte lunch too, I hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment