Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Iceland Day 7 - Driving to Akureyri

We made it to Akureyri, after 7.5+ hours of driving.  Boy was I exhausted.  Proud of myself though, since it may have been my longest drive since the attempt from Memphis to Chicago.  I was decently safe with a few dodgy passes.  The drive was almost without incident, but we almost ran out of gas.  We were a an eighth tank and I thought we were going to hit the ring road exiting the Westfjords, so we passed Hólmavík and did not get gas.  After the turn and realizing it was not the ring road, I started getting worried and 20+ km later flagged down a motorcyclist who told me the next gas station in my direction was 100km away and the gas meter said 75km to go.  Promptly turned around, and the journey there and back and the time taken to get gas probably took about an hour.  Sad but better than running out of gas.  Ironically, I think we drove about 150-200km on the next eighth of a tank, or maybe it was my brain playing tricks on me, but I guess I’ll never know if we would have made it on that last eighth.

Here is a picture of the apartment that we rented.  It is really nice having some space compared to all our teeny hotel rooms.  The PIN for the mi-fi internet device did not work, and I called the person in charge who said she would be there in an hour, but it was more like 2 hours, and after figuring out the PIN, it showed we had to pay.  Not pleased.  They are supposed to fix it tomorrow but we’ll see.  Hence the tardy post.  The bed was poor with no support.  This was the first time we had to share a bed and we both sank to the middle.  Boo.


I walked around town and took some pictures of restaurant menus.  I will put them in a separate post.  Sushi interested me but the prices were outrageous and I bet it would have been fairly substandard for the price anyway.  I’m thinking Indian or Fish and Chips.  TripAdvisor says there are 34 restaurants here in Akureyri.  What a big town!!

Can someone tell me what is up with these hunchbacked "folks" in these Icelandic towns?

I stole Wi-Fi from a nearby hotel, and FaceTimed Lingon.  It had been a while since we chatted so it was nice.  Walked up the staircase to the church, snapped a quick picture of it and then of the “view” from up there, and then retired.

Mileage: 600km

No comments:

Post a Comment