Sunday, August 10, 2014

Iceland Day 12 - Jökulsárlón, Fjallsárlón, Lómagnúpur & Kirkjugólf

Woke up this morning to the beautiful glaciers again and posting this morning's photo of that same view because I think it was nicer than last night's.  The glaciers seem clearer too.

As previously mentioned, this morning saw a breakfast which was included at our hotel, Fosshótel Vatnajökull.  It was pretty standard, except they had cooked mackeral today which I had to inject some protein into my diet.  Also had some baked beans which reminded me of my childhood.  The granola here was the best of the trip, and in absolute was actually good, so I loaded up on that for breakfast to skip lunch.

Had a late start since there was not much to do.  (Seems to be a trend in this latter part of the trip.)  We tried to find Kálfafellsdalur, which is one of three big valleys cut into the mountains.  Do not remember where I saw it from, but it was on my list of to-sees.  Not sure if we saw it but here are a couple of glaciers we saw along the way.


Then we went to the famous glacial lagoon, Jökulsárlón.  There were many floating icebergs in the lagoon.  We saw one of them break off and drop into the water.  Not sure if that's the right term.  There were also some seals in the water, which I initially excitedly mistook as sea monsters.  Sadly no sea monster sightings as of yet.

I also saw these little children playing in a muddy puddle, and I was thinking, what parents will let their kids do something disgusting (pardon the judgment), when all of the sudden the tiniest kid fell INTO the puddle and ended up with puddle on its face.  Major barf.  I was mortified and about to take a picture when the parent turned around and I felt embarrassed.

One can take a zodiac out on the lake.  Another activity is ice walking on the glacier.  Your local superhero Thor will take you.  Please call him at +354 8663490.  I should get paid royalties for this.

I also saw some people take out an inflatable canoe and they lifted the hood probably to use the battery to pump it out.  Were they really going to canoe in that lake???

Our next stop was Fjallsárlón glacier lagoon just down the road.  It was so windy when we got out.  This would have been a perfect place for Michael Jackson and his crew to have done their anti-gravity lean.  Literally I had to lean forward and stand in place sometimes to not get blown backwards.  Here are pictures of the approach as well as at the lagoon.  I dipped my hand into the lagoon and it did not feel that cold, but maybe that's coz I was already freezing.


Apparently the volcano Öraefajökull, which is probably Iceland's most violent volcano, was above this glacier but I did not see it or, if I did, I did not know it was it.

We tried to go to Svartifoss (Black Fall), which is a waterfall in Skaftafell National Park, but it was raining and we decided to pass.  The name arises due to it being surrounded by dark lava columns

On to Lómagnúpur which is are cliffs that tower over Björninn Mountain.  It was supposed to be really beautiful but honestly to be it just looked like a giant rock.  Apparently the giant Járngrímur used to live there.  He is known as a guardian of Iceland.  Makes me think about how Icelanders supposedly believe in elves, and we are supposed to find an Icelander and ask him/her that - it's definitely on the to-do list.  Núpsstaður is an area at the foot of Lómagnúpur with a church and farm, but there was a gate which was closed blocking it.

The last stop before the hotel was Kirkjugólf.  We had a hard time finding it.  In the end we figured the best way was to park at the gas station/restaurant/convenience store to get to the path, since where the sign was had what we thought was a no parking sign.  We climbed across a ladder, and made out way there, short walk, maybe 5 minutes or so.  Kirkjugólf is a "natural pavement of basalt.  These are basalt columns in the earth, but only the tops can be seen, and, as the name suggests, they have the appearance of a paved church floor."  I took this information from Wiki.  Nothing remarkable, definitely something interesting and I've never seen anything like that before, but just something to do in town.

Right by the gas station is a fast food place called Skaftárskáli.  They have burgers, hot dogs, junk food basically... and chocolate dipped ice cream!  I really wanted one but two days ago I had a bad day and ate a bunch of shit so I resisted.  Feeling a bit sad but I could always go to Costco for that when I get back to the USofA.  Here is a picture of the main menu.  The place was BUSTLING!  The prices in the photo are not that clear, but 4 burgers, franskar (which I think is fries) and a 2.0l Pepsi would cost 4400ISK, and a burger, franskar and a 0.5l Pepsi was 1295ISK, just so you have an idea.  The attached convenience was actually tolerably priced too.

Last stop was the hotel, Icelandair Hotel Klauster.  I had high hopes, as it was by far the most expensive hotel at US$335 (including taxes).  The exterior was not bad, and the hopes continued.  No elevator.  Hmm...  However, once we got into the room, it was the most pathetically furnished (OK, that's not true, but the furnishing per dollar would have been the worst).  Plus, no breakfast.  I'm thinking if I ever come back, Fosshotel would be my choice with the free breakfast.  Seriously this place sucks.  At least the wifi is good here - gotta stay positive, right?  However, I really do not recommend it if you can find somewhere cheaper.  It is really barebones.

It's an early end today, which is nice because I'm finally getting a little tired of driving all day.  Going to cook some oatmeal or instant noodles for dinner, and do some crafts, and a nice long night of sleep.

Mileage:  199.4km

No comments:

Post a Comment