Friday, August 8, 2014

Iceland Day 10 - Driving to Egilsstaðir

Since my previous failed attempt to summit Súlur 2 days ago, I decided that on the last day I would do it.  Unfortunately I had checked the weather report the night before and it did not look good.  I held out hope and woke up at 6.30am, and it was raining pretty heavily.  Being my birthday and also feeling a bit lazy, I decided, ahhh screw it.  Gotta leave something for next time, right??  Anyway with the heavy cloud cover there was no way I was going to see much, if anything, anyway.

I found a website with decent hiking information here while looking for information.  Here it is and I hope it helps with your planning too!

So, I made myself a birthday breakfast.  Indomie with egg and spinach!  Yum.

Our one and only stop was Vogafjós Cafe for a meal.  I ended up eating way more than I had started out to do, but it was an amazing meal, topped off with a cake and a candle for the birthday girl (me!).  We had decided to skip this stop yesterday but I am glad we made it!  The food was REALLY good!  Plus I had a cup of fresh cow milk.  Yum!
Goulash, lamb slices with potato cake, geysir bread, Vogafjós cake, fresh cow milk and apple almond cake

I also made a copy of the menu since I could not find one on Tripadvisor and it kind of annoyed me.  Hope this helps others!!  It is an expensive place!!







We drove in the rain pretty much the whole time and it was quite miserable.  We finally made it to  Egilsstaðir where we were going to spend the night at Icelandair Hotel Herad.  The hotel had some funny looking signs and I took photos of them.  Beds seem comfortable laying on them, room is basic, but clean so I am happy!

After checking in, the weather cleared up a little, inspired by the Secret Life of Walter Mitty (yes, Ben Stiller, I'm your biggest fan and I'm stalking you and following your footsteps, albeit a few years late), we went to Seyðisfjörður where the skateboarding scene was filmed.  You can see the winding road in the picture!

We saw a pretty waterfall along that road, and I took a picture of it, but unfortunately it was not that nice.  Here it is though.

Mileage:  329.7km

No comments:

Post a Comment