Saturday, August 23, 2014

Peru Day 3 - Puno

Day 3 in Peru was pretty much a travel day.  We woke up early to get to the airport for a flight to Juliaca to visit the town of Puno, and arrived at midday.  We took a taxi to Puno, official price S/. 80 but we negotiated down to S/. 75 on principle.  The flight had been quite bumpy and I felt a little ill at the airport.  I tried to sleep it off in the taxi but woke up eventually and had to tell the taxi driver to stop the car, ran out and yakked all over the land, twice.  Zito had a picture of my projectile yak which hopefully I will obtain later and post online.  Very fun.  I also almost fainted since right at that moment altitude sickness hit me.  I was the only one of us that did not take diamox, and as luck would have it I seemed to be hit the hardest.  Eventually I regained my composure and we made it to Puno.

We checked into Hotel Tierra Viva.  The lobby had coca tea which we drank since we were not feeling too well.  Got into my room, and it had a funny smell which was like pee to me, but the boys said it was a different odour, and Dawg said it was cleaning fluid smell which I did not think so at all.  The hotel bed was comfortable, very basic room, and they gave us 2 bottles of water.  The rate of US$70 also includes breakfast.  Very reasonable, I would say.  My one BIG complaint was that as I was showering, the water got colder and colder, like someone was trying to chase me out of the shower, which was most uncomfortable, especially since all I wanted was a nice warm shower to rest my sick body.  The smell I can deal with, but this hot water situation made me feel really terrible.  Also the wifi is slow, which I’m not too surprised about but it is really frustrating.

Puno looked like it had some fun shopping.  We walked around to find alpaca things to buy, and I loved these alpaca rugs that I’m considering purchasing.  We also went to a market where I saw super creepy cow heads (see at your own risk, it is really gross).  Dawg purchased some corn snack which was delicious, and as I ate it I felt more and more sick.  He also got coca leaves and some ash-looking thing whose name I forgot, but apparently if you chew on this thing it will give you a high or help you with altitude sickness.  These are the leaves of the plant that makes cocaine, but I was assured that neither the tea nor this leaf-chewing business would not produce any such evil effects.  Still on the fence on whether I would try the leaves.  Dawg and Zito bought some hats and a sweater from this one lady off the main street and it seemed to be a good buy since it was much cheaper!



We went to Mojsa for dinner, ranked #4 on Tripadvisor in Puno, which overlooked the Plaza de Armas.  The guys had some Mojsa energy drink which was supposed to help with altitude sickness.  For food they ordered quinoa soup, which we were told was a specialty of the area, a quinoa caprese dish and a chicken avocado dish.  They were kind enough to let me sample their food which was delicious, but I chose not to participate in dinner since I was feeling truly horrible, and it was all actually very good.  We will go back tomorrow to try their alpaca steak and other local specialties!  Hope I am well enough by then.  :-/  There was a good view of the Plaza de Armas and the church from the restaurant.  Make a reservation if you want to come here for dinner, they had a "full" sign when we left dinner around 7.30pm and did not seem to be admitting anymore folks.


Here is a bruise update.  Getting darker, but at least the skin is healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment