Saturday, August 2, 2014

Iceland Day 4 - (CenterHotel Plaza Breakfast and) Golden Circle

I wanted to write really quickly about the breakfast at CenterHotel Plaza.  This breakfast was included in the rate, which in late July/early August was about US$165, decent for being in such a central location.  Now the breakfast was not stunning, but I just wanted to let people know what they have, and I think it is really not bad.  Granola, cereal, oatmeal, assorted fresh fruit, scrambled eggs (these were cooked WAY too well and though I did not eat them I can only imagine they were horrible), bacon, sausage, hard boiled eggs, many different kinds of bread, jams, and my favourite (and most unhealthy) oat squares which was some bar with oats and either chocolate or raisins/dried fruit.  The spread was really decent and I think it deserves a thumbs up.  Too bad no pictures, but it was not gourmet or anything, and nothing much could be left to the imagination.

This was our last morning at CenterHotel Plaza.  Gosh I will miss not having to think about breakfast.  The road trip begun and I was excited.

We picked up the rental car from Budget, and after GPS and insurance it cost an arm and a leg.  Luckily we have plenty of cup noodles so we will be saving money on food and I probably will not eat out much.  Funny sign at the rental car company.

We saw a number of cars stopped by the side of the road, and this was the first site we saw.  Beautiful and got me excited about what was to come!

Our first stop was Þingvellir.  I learned that Þ is like "th", some small knowledge about the Icelandic language which up to now scares the crap out of me.  These long and weird names and vowel and consonant arrangement...  Anyway without digressing so much.  Þingvellir is the site of the world's first parliament, and started in 930AD.  Do you know in those days a judgment against someone could be passed, but it was up to the individual who pressed charges (pardon my knowledge of judicial terms, most of my knowledge comes from Law and Order SVU) to enforce the law.  So, imagine I sued someone who owed me money and I won but he/she refused to pay, I would have to hire a hit man to do a number on said person, or I could seize his/her car for payment.  That's how I imagine life at that time to be like.  Hehe.  Beautiful site, even with the drizzle that pounded down on us.

Next stop we went to some site of 2 geysers, Strokkur which was active and Geysir which was defunct.  There were a number of other pretty coloured pools too but I'm not sure if they were actually formerly geysers.  I waited in the rain with the bitter cold blowing on my frosty fingers, and managed to get this cool shot.  I've wanted to go to yellowstone to see Old Faithful for a while now, but this will do for now.

Last stop was Gullfoss, a waterfall which is apparently stronger than the Niagara Falls according to a sign there (I don't really believe it, but I've never been to Niagara).  It was really quite powerful, and between the rain and the splash from the falls itself, it was a bit of a damp experience.

We were supposed to have a couple more stops along the way, driving along the Kaldidalur pass which was not allowed by the rental car company, Deildartunguhver which is supposedly Europe's most powerful hot spring, Viðgelmir, one of the largest lava caves in the world and Hraunfossar, a seemingly less spectacular falls from the pictures.  Sadly time was not our friend, and we decided to return to the hotel instead.  Being the kind of person who likes to do everything, I was really bummed, but I also had a poor night's sleep and rest was much needed.

We are staying at the Icelandair Hotel Hamar, which is quite pleasant (expensive at 28,900ISK which is around US$260) and new seeming.  Breakfast is not included, and is 2100ISK/person.  It has a golf course.  Here is a picture of our room.

This was dinner for the night.  Tastes like home sweet home and cost is a fraction of anything we could have gotten here in Iceland.  Complete with a hard boiled egg stolen from breakfast this morning.  :-)

Distance driven: 302.9km

Good night and good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment