Friday, June 13, 2014

Melaka Experience

I've been lazy.  It's not as easy to sit down and write about food as I thought it would be, given my perpetual thinking about food.  I wanted to close the Malaysia chapter, so I thought I would sum up some of the other food, and one massage experience we had.

In Melaka, I saw these people holding boxes of durian puff.  Upon further investigation, I found the place they came from - Taste Better.  Super delicious, the durian was rich and creamy, the puff was crunchy on the outside and nice and soft on the inside.  Later on in Penang I realized the chain was there too.  Try it if you can!  Here is the website.
https://www.facebook.com/tastebetter.my

The few restaurants we tried in Melaka was not bad.  Teo Soon Loong Chan had tasty Nonya food, nothing super special.  The reason I wanted to go there was because the reviews on the orh nee (yam paste) were pretty good, but I found it so so.  Other dishes we had were oyster noodles, ngoh hiang, bitter gourd something, steamed fish, tofu and vegetables and some braised meat.  I just did a quick Google and found they have a website!  What a surprise.
http://www.tslcmalaysia.com/tslc_main.htm
Open 12-2.30pm, 6-9.15pm, closed on Monday

We also went to Aunty Lee, and the food there was better.  Had a chili fish, kiam chai soup, sambal kang kong, beef rendang, mutton, okra, otak otak, chicken with this weird black seed thing that you could scoop the interior out and eat, and my favourite omelette with chili and cincalok (fermented shrimp).  This is the first time I have heard of cincalok, it is possible I have eaten it before, but did not know what it was.  The restaurant was a little bit further away from the main area in Melaka and it was necessary to drive, but I think the food was worth it!
https://plus.google.com/115711002644539391627/about?gl=us&hl=en
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincalok
Open 11am-3pm, 6-10pm, closed on Tuesday

Our last meal in Melaka was at Bei Zhan restaurant.  It surprises me that this place has a website.  I guess Malaysian restaurants are more technologically advanced than I imagined.  :-P  Is that mean to say?  Suckling pig, lemon chicken, tofu veg, eggplant, spinach, noodles, steamed fish and kurobuta pork belly.  They also had very good tau huay or soya bean milk.  I quite enjoyed this meal!
http://www.beizhan.com.my/
Open 11am-2.30pm, 5.30-10.30pm

Overall, the food we tried in Melaka was good, but I find I'm too old for these big banquet dinners.  The food just doesn't digest as well and I can't eat as much anymore!!

The other experience I wanted to write about was the massage my family went to at the Mahkota Hotel.  Lingon and my parents went to the massage facility at the hotel.  My sister almost went too, but she changed her mind because the place she thought that the place was filled with mafia looking people.  Lingon said his massage sucked because it was given by some grandma, not sure if it was actually a bad massage, or if it was because it was an unattractive old woman.  My dad said his wasn't good.  But the funniest was my mother's experience.  The lady who gave her a massage was apparently dressed very scantily.  She seemed surprised to see my mother in the room, and then proceeded to ask her whether she had a son or husband... Read between the lines!  Then, she asked my mother why she came to the Mahkota massage, and pretty much said she should have gone to the Holiday Inn across the street.  In short, don't get a massage at the Mahkota Hotel in Melaka.  Lol.  My parents actually did try the Holiday Inn massage, and it was much better.

That pretty much sums up Melaka.

No comments:

Post a Comment