Saturday, June 14, 2014

Kusakabe

I am finally back in San Francisco for a somewhat extended period of time.  Home sweet home.  I feel like tapping my red shoes.  There's truly no place like home.  This was the latest restaurant we have visited, so it may seem like I'm caught up, but really I still have all my NYC restaurants to write about.  Let's see if we get there...
 
It isn't that often that we visit newly opened restaurants, at home or when we travel.  However given my recent crazy over Japanese restaurants, and the fact that the chef of one of our favourite Japanese restaurants in San Francisco, Akiko's, went there two days in a row, the first time being opening day, I just had to try it.  They have one prix fixe menu daily for $95.  The two chefs came from Sushi Ran.  Quite nice friendly guys, and I had a lot of fun sitting at the bar and chatting with them.  They both live in Marin and carpool together everyday.  When I said "oh you must be best friends now", I got mad laughter.  Lol.  Anyhow, the meal was good.  The fish was of very good quality, and some of the sushi was rather unique.  However, for the price, I wish there was more unique pieces, as I feel like a large majority of the meal was sushi.  Don't get me wrong, it was good, I was just expecting more variety.  They did say they are still waiting for some larger equipment, so hopefully the menu will be more refined in time.  The prix fixe menu is down below, as are some pictures.  They have an a la carte menu that you can order from after the prix fixe, which I think is kind of weird, but we got a green tea creme brulee which was made by Chef Nori's wife.

Welcoming Tea
Sushi Prelude - seared bluefin tuna, 2 seasonal sushi, Temari style sushi
Sashimi - chef's choice
Soup - duck dumpling miso soup
Unique sushi - Cured ocean trout
Warm dish - crab, crispy rice cracker tofu in dashi broth
Sushi chic - 2 seasonal sushi
Sushi finale - Copper River king salmon, toro or wagyu



No comments:

Post a Comment