Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Other NYC Eats

I really want to close out the NYC section and focus on more current things.  So I lumped a few food experiences into one.

My second to last night in NYC, I had the pleasure of dining on my own, so I went to an old favourite that I had not been to for a long time, The Halal Guys.  What surprised me was across the street, there was another Halal Guys, same colour scheme and everything.  I think it was the same cart.  Anyhow, I ordered the combo plate, and went back to the hotel.  Strangely enough, we entered the lift, and the couple already in the lift were carrying the same coloured plastic bag with the same food.  We asked, and they had indeed gone to the same place.  The food was still good, I think less tasty than previously, so was a bit disappointed.  However for a cheap good meal in NYC, and the fact that I have not found anywhere with a better version of this dish, I guess I will go back.


The next morning, I sort of ran out of cheap fun places I was interested in to visit, so I thought of some comfort Chinese food.  I found some article about cheap eats in NYC, and one of them was porridge at Great NY Noodletown.  Despite reading a kind of creepy article about the chemicals used in the fermentation of the duck egg to make it into pei dan (century egg), I decided this was the dish of choice.  I also ordered a plate of roast meat with char siew and duck.  Hit the spot for a little Chinese craving, but I suppose I wouldn't really particularly recommend this to anyone.


Next stop, I decided to be clever and try to find the famed cronut at Dominic Ansel Bakery.  When I entered the bakery, I was met with this line.  I walked to the back and asked some bakers if there were still cronuts and they regretfully shaked their head.  Well, if you really want a cronut, don't get there at 11.30am!  Off to the next place!


In that same food article where I heard of Great NY Noodletown, I read about a delicious olive oil bread at Abraço.  Since today was a day of exploring maybe what I just invented So14th, I marched on.  The window was out of olive oil bread!  I persevered and asked the dude behind the counter, and he said they had a fresh one.  In luck!  I was 1) hungry and 2) overly excited, so I forgot to take a picture, but here's one I stole from the www.  Dear person to whom the photo belongs to, please let me know if you have an issue with it, and I will take it off.  Please do not sue.  This was a most DELISH piece of bread.  Super olive oil-y, moist, I wanted to finish it, but I was kind and saved half for Lingon.  LIKE!


Last on my stop before I had to head back to the hotel and the off to the airport (sob), I went to another old favourite, Rice to Riches.  Got my favourite cookies and cream, and then the mango peach which I liked but both Lingon and I found it too sweet.  The price of R2R (I'm so witty!) has gone up so much since I first went there.  Too bad it's by far the best rice pudding I've ever had.  Hm, well maybe La Regalade St Honore, but Loving Cup here in SF doesn't hold a candle to it.  I think the quality is still really high, and I really enjoyed my last special treat!  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment