Monday, June 16, 2014

Totto Ramen NYC

There is/was so much hype about Totto Ramen, I've wanted to try it for a very long time but the wait has always daunted me.  It's funny, I used to be OK waiting in line for Mama's for 2 hours, but now time is more precious, and I have to choose wisely what lines I want to wait in.  I think part of this change is due to Lingon's aversion to standing in line.

I was trying to find somewhere new and yummy to eat close-ish to our new hotel.  I read about Totto Ramen opening a second location and how the lines were shorter there.  We decided to hit it!

We arrived early, about 15 minutes before the restaurant was to open.  To my dismay, there were already 2 people in line.  Oh well, no big deal I suppose.  That's just me being competitive.  I'm glad we arrived early though, because when the restaurant opened its doors at noon, we obviously managed to make the first seating, but I think 10 minutes after opening and people had to wait for the second seating.  That's what I call kiasu.  ;-)

We ordered the spicy tuna don, which I think was OK but Lingon said it was his favourite.  The pork buns were pretty good - 2 to an order.  I really enjoyed the ramen - we got spicy and miso ramen and I liked both quite a lot.  The thing about ramen is I'm not that discerning.  I thought Totto was really good, but not that special.  Unrefined palate, I suppose.  I wish I was like those people who could comment on the texture, thickness of the broth, etc. but I'm not.  Then again, maybe it's good, and it will just let me be happy and enjoy my ramen without being too analytical.

The only ramen place I've really found truly super special was Ippudo in Japan.  I went to one in Tokyo and one in Kyoto.  (On that note, I've never been to an Ippudo outside of Japan.)  They had very unique flavours, so in that sense it was special to me.

Summary:  go early if you want to eat at Totto.  The wait's not that worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment