Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Starbelly Patio Picnic Pig Dinner, SF

Last month (wow, I can't believe it is already July!) we went to StarBelly's Patio Picnic Tuesday with the pig dinner.  They do this patio picnic every summer on a Tuesday out in their picnic.  This year they had people buy tickets on Sosh at $39 a piece.  It's not the prepayment that bothered me, but Sosh itself.  It is an app that forces you to log in with your Facebook, so they have all this information about you.  Thankfully Tutu had this app, so I used his!  :-)

This year, the pig looked very small.  Upon further inspection of the menu, it said "piglet".  Shouldn't the event be called "roasted piglet" instead of pig then?  Anyhow, I don't think there was a shortage of food, but I remember when we went 2 years ago the pig was much larger.  The sides they had were elote asado, grilled summer squash, apple and celery slaw and sweet bread rolls.  The dessert was apricot and black berry cobbler.

So here's my assessment.

1)  The pig - the crispy skin and fatty bits were super delicious.  The meat I did not find quite as tasty.  Overall I was very disappointed.  Maybe I was romanticizing the previous experience, but the pig then was perfect.  Ah my mouth is watering thinking about that pig from 2 years ago.  How sad.  Lol.
2)  I really liked a couple of the sides, mainly the elote and slaw.  The squash was just squash, and there was a pasta salad which again was just a pasta salad.  The bread rolls were amazing but they tasted just like Hawaiian rolls, and one can get them at any supermarket.
3)  The cobbler was extremely disappointing.  A watery gooey mess.  And the crust of the cobbler (is it called crust?) was like eating rocks.

I think this concept is really fun.  However I would try something else - the fried chicken maybe?  But $39 for fried chicken is really too much.  The other option is ribs which I don't love.  So, maybe a pass.  Sigh.  I will miss that patio.


No comments:

Post a Comment