Monday, July 14, 2014

Izakaya Mai, San Mateo

So it turns out all the ramen places in San Mateo area closed on Tuesdays.  We tried to go to Santa Ramen, but when I arrived it looked strangely quiet.  Googled Dojo and Ramen Parlor, all closed.  So off to downtown San Mateo we went.

I chose Izakaya Mai as I felt like having a don.  Unagi, I initially thought, but I could just go to Nijiya to pick up an unagi, drizzle a ton of sauce all over it, and make my own rice.  Ended up getting the salmon and tuna don, no idea why because I could do the same thing.  The raw fish was decent, nothing special.  There was this weird gooey thing with a quail egg in it.  I think it made me sick.  I did some Googling and found that it was probably mountain radish.  It was disgusting.  Well, that serves me right for not doing proper Yelp research because someone else complained about that weird goo thing too!  I would not come back here unless I had to, it's cheap-ish enough for raw fish that I would go, but I could get the same at the Japanese supermarket.

No comments:

Post a Comment