Monday, December 1, 2014

Rokurinsha (Ramen), Tokyo

Today for lunch we went to Rokurinsha, a ramen joint, in Tokyo station on "Ramen Street".  Apparently a chain with a few branches around.  We got there aroun 11.45am, after walking through the maze of a station, and there was this long queue in front which Lingon estimated to be about 30 mins!!  We think it took a bit less, like 20 mins, perhaps.

The restaurant opens from 7.30-10.00am, and 11.00am-10.30pm.  I've read there usually are lines, so unless you want to wait, come early!  So basically, you stand in a line, and when you get to the front of the line, you reach a vending machine where you can order from.  I would have taken a photo of the machine except Lingon was hurrying me as I was holding up people trying to pay the bill with my many many coins.  Lol.  For the record, the machine takes coins from ¥10 and up, and bills.  Metroman, a friend who had been there with Lingon before, told me to order the one with the picture of the noodles on the side with an egg, which was not all that helpful since there were a few.  We ordered the one on the top left corner, which was ¥1,080 each, plus a side of hotness, for ¥100.

Almost everything about this ramen was very unique.  The noodles were thick and chewy.  It came with an egg that had a semi soft/semi hard yolk, probably poached in some kind of soy or something salty, and everything about the egg was quite perfect.  The broth was more like a gravy, with chunks of pork and something fishy, which I later read was possibly dried mackerel.  There were also a piece of fishcake which did not taste like much to me, seaweed topped with dried fish which was quite unique, and bamboo shoots which actually did not taste foul (I normally hate bamboo shoots!).  Apparently at the end of the meal, if you have leftover gravy, you can ask for more soup to water it down and drink the soup.  We did not do that.

I had a great time at this meal.  A very different style of noodles, a subway experience, yum.  I overheard that they had small bowls of noodles, which would have been helpful since I did not finish mine and even so was a bit too full when we left.

No comments:

Post a Comment