Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Hitsumabushi Bincho (Unagi), Tokyo

I was craving and unagi don.  A google search revealed Hitsumabushi Bincho, a Nagoya style grilled unagi, that had a branch nearby where I was situated.  I went there for lunch and ordered their hitsumabushi, their specialty, "a local favorite in Nagoya and its environs, is prepared by heaping a generous portion of thinly sliced kabayaki-style eel atop rice in a small tub".  They use a special charcoal called bincho, hence the name of the restaurant.

One eats it in three ways, as the card below suggests.

I liked the first style best, and then also with seaweed.  I did not particularly like the Japanese leek, nor do I ever like wasabi, so the second was a bust for me.  The eel meat tasted fresh and tender and the rice was nice and sweet.  This definitely satisfied a craving.  It felt pricey at ¥3,150 (plus 8% tax) for essentially eel and rice, but it was a good simple wholesome Japanese meal and I'm glad to have tried a new style of unagi don.

No comments:

Post a Comment