Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Singapore Community Day 2015

As election day approaches, and I know I will not be able to vote since I am neither in Singapore nor my registered voting city, I shall take this time to share a picture of Singapore Community Day back in February, held at Saratoga Springs Park in the San Jose area in February of this year.  As a member of our young nation, at a grand ol' 50 years old, I feel proud to call myself Singaporean.  Being so far away helps me appreciate my Singapore culture and values, and how far Singapore has come from its time as a small fishing village (even though I was not born yet to see that).

The first of its kind on the Bay Area, some Singaporeans from Singapore Connect, an overseas Singaporean group of some kind, put together this event featuring Singapore food (what could be more important to Singaporeans!), games (blast from the past, like 5 stones, chakteh, those funny goldfish bits, pick up sticks, bubble blowing), the Great Singapore Workout (which has since been modified, I did not recognize the moves, and the toilet bowl flushing was no longer there), etc.  There was even a lion and dragon dance.

What amazed me about this event was that it was put on almost entirely by volunteers, me included (though my part was very tiny).  An event with so many people often involves different thought processes, egos, confusion, but somehow this event came together very nicely, and I was very impressed.  Within the measly budget, put together in a couple of months, the event invited hundreds of people.  Despite the rain and cold weather, I had a lot of fun, and got to show Lingon part of my culture and history.

Happy (belated) birthday, Singapore, I love you and I miss you, and see you soon!  Majulah Singapura!

No comments:

Post a Comment