Wednesday, August 19, 2015

The Great American Summer Adventure Part 3 - Yellowstone National Park

This is yogi bear reporting live from Jellystone Park!  Smarter than the average bear!

Well, here we were, Jellystone Park.  Just kidding, Yellowstone Park.  I guess I knew about Yellowstone Park even before I really knew about Yellowstone Park.

After leaving Grand Teton, we headed for Yellowstone.  I was determined to find a bear, and a college friend had seen some during his trip, so I felt confident.  We followed this map to the areas that were supposed to have bears, partly to find bears, partly because these areas were interesting.  Our first stop was at a marker in the map called Mud Volcano.  Not sure if we actually saw the mud volcano itself, but the area was full of muddy stuff that smelled like sulphuric gas emissions.  Bubbly bubbly.

Then onto the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone (I thought that was just what people said, in reference to the Grand Canyon National Park, but this was really its name).  The pictures I saw online were great, but seeing it in real life was just spectacular.  We first headed to Artist Point, where we could view the Lower Falls.  Wedged between an extremely steep and narrow gorge area, the river resulting from the falls gushed down.  The rocks had varying pretty colours due to the geology and the gases emitted from... the water?  Lol.  Clearly not a geologist.  Then we headed to Uncle Tom's Point, where we could get an Upper Falls view.  The landscape there looked much different, way more lush, with coniferous trees lining the sides of the river and the falls.  Off to N Rim Drive via Grand Loop Road, where there were various lookouts.  Just stunning.

We stopped in Canyon Village for a coffee for Lingon, and guess what we saw?  Singapore laksa!!  Who would have thought.  Anyway they had this diner style restaurant too so I took a photo of that since I thought it looked cool.

After this, we headed to Lamar Valley to find bears.  No luck, but we saw some bison and elk.  The valley itself did not look all that pretty.

Following a disappointing bear-watching trip, we realized we were doing well on time and went to the Mammoth Hot Springs area, where they had these terraces of limestone.  I enjoyed looking at them and they were really cool, but they were not many educational signs that taught me how these were formed.  We even saw some elk in the village!

After this, we were tired, so we decided to head to the hotel.  I had gotten lucky and managed to book us at the Old Faithful Inn, which is a historic lodge.  I even managed to get us a room with a private bathroom, thank goodness.  The thought of having to share a bathroom just creeps me out, so I am very very thankful!  They had a very cute bear soap!  The lobby was gorgeous, made of wood, with 3 levels of balconies looking down on the main floor.  There was an outdoor patio where one could see Old Faithful geyser hissing and spouting away.

We had dinner at the Obsidian Dining Room in the Old Faithful Snow Lodge, because the menu looked a little more Jackson-y, with Montana trout and bison burger (I wish we had actually checked out the Old Faithful Inn Dining Room menu at the restaurant itself before dining, because we checked it out after and they had trout and a few other options that were slightly different from the online version.  Also so you know, one has to make reservations for the Old Faithful Inn Dining Room.  Another one for next time!).  The food was OK, both a bit overcooked, but I liked my trout better than the burger.

Following dinner, we went to see the last eruption for the evening on the balcony, where we froze to death while awaiting the geyser.  No pictures because it as almost pitch black by the time it erupted.

The next morning, I had every intention of watching the eruption.  There is a geyser predictor which for some reason did not work when I woke up, because there are actually long intervals in the night (based on my short research).  I called the front desk and they gave me a time, and we went about 20 minutes before it was due, and ended up waiting about an hour before the damned thing erupted.  Totally worth it to be the first people there, without the summer crowds, with that sunrise in the background.

One last tourism push before we exited the park.  We visited Grand Prismatic Spring and Fountain Paint Pots which, I suspect due to the freezing temperatures in the morning, were just kind of steamy and not as pretty as what I expected and I was pretty bummed.  I'm sure I'll be back, and I'll choose a less early time to visit and see the visit colours, but for now we were tired of being tourists, sleepy, and ready to relax (ish).

As for my bear-watching quest, how did that fare?  Not so well.  However, I did see bison and elk.  In learning about animals, I found out that a little animal called pika exists - a distant relative of the famous Pikachu?




There will be a next time, Yellowstone.  And Yogi Bear, I will find you.

See here for part 1 of this trip in Jackson, WY, and part 2 in Grand Teton National Park.

No comments:

Post a Comment