Monday, November 10, 2014

A Comparison of Won Ton Noodles, Hong Kong

What an exciting title for this blog!

A friend of mine told me of two won ton noodle places in Hong Kong - Mak's Noodles and Tsim Chai Kee, both on Wellington Road in Central, directly across from each other.  By no systematic method, I chose to go to Tsim Chai Kee the first time, adored it, and have been going there ever since.

This time round, I decided I wanted to try Mak's Noodles, but I did not want to give up Tsim Chai Kee too.  Luckily, Lingon was with me, so we decided to get one bowl of noodles at each place.

First we went to Mak's noodles.  The size of the bowl was that of a rice bowl, very small.  It had 4 small won tons in it for HKD$36, about US$5.  The won tons were very tasty and crunchy, and the noodles were nice and springy.  Vegetables were good too, at $27, about US$4.

Then the revered Tsim Chai Kee.  The size of the bowl was maybe 50% larger.  There were only 3 won tons, but they were maybe twice the size.  They were also very tasty and crunchy.  This set us back HKD$25, about US$3.50.  The vegetables were good too, a larger plate, at HKD$14, about US$2.

I have to say I'm glad I finally made it to Mak's.  Sometimes some questions just gnaw at you, like which won ton noodle shop is better, and should you try a new place or the tried and tasted very fabulous place.  It is nice to have an eating buddy to tackle such tough life questions.  We both agreed that both were great places to eat, but you get more bang for your buck, plus everyone likes bigger won tons, and what I did not mention above was that Tsim Chai Kee has an amazing chili, so Tsim Chai Kee wins!  Hooray for the winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment