Monday, November 10, 2014

A Comparison of Egg Tarts, Hong Kong and Macau

Seems to be that comparisons are a thing.

My favourite egg tart in Hong Kong, and probably in the world, is Tai Cheong Bakery and I go to the one on Lyndhurst Terrace.  It has a yummy short bread crust, and I really love short bread.  Mmmm all that butter (or is it lard?).

In Macau, one has to do as the Macanese do, which is eat Portuguese egg tarts!  Lingon did some research and found out the most famous egg tart shops are these 2, each owned by one half of a divorced couple.  The first one we went to was Margaret's Cafe e Nata, so probably the female side of the split.  The crust was made of puff pastry, and the custard was browned.  Pretty good.  The queue outside this place when we arrived was pretty insane.  We found out you have to line up first in the queue on the left to order and pay, and then line up on the right to pick up.  They have timed the baking process so perfectly that within 2 mins of our scheduled pick up time, we got our egg tarts!

Then we went to Lord Stow, which is a chain, in the Venetian.  I thought then pretty similar to the one from Margaret's.

So what makes an egg tart Portuguese?  There seems to be a lot online about it, which I am a bit lazy to read about, but here is what I know.  It seems to have originated from a monastery in Portugal.  A puff pastry is used.  The custard is made of either exclusively egg yolks or a higher egg yolk to white ratio compared to the dim sum kind (I think).

All of them were good.  I liked both Portuguese ones equally, but in general I think I preferred the sweet and slightly salty short bread crust better.  I'm getting hungry looking at all this food.

No comments:

Post a Comment