Thursday, March 5, 2015

Mua, Oakland

This post has been, for a long time, in my to-complete box.  I sent my blog link to Money yesterday.  I'm sitting in a hotel room while Lingon is out at a super fun conference, so I'm going to write about this one cool dining experience we had.

Our dear friends Money and Chang recently moved to Oakland.  Sad times, since we don't like it when our friends move out of the city.  It means more time to get to them, usually!!  Grr.  Chang picked Mua for our first venture into Oakland together.

The restaurant was in a rather busy part of Oakland that I had been to before.  The area in the evening looked relatively sketch, with some homeless person wandering around.  I quickened my pace to enter the restaurant.  When I entered, I had a rather big surprise - the interior of the restaurant was probably 5 times the size I thought it would be based on the rather unassuming exterior.  Kind of like a large warehouse, the 2-story restaurant was loud and hip.  It came complete with a DJ.

We were seated upstairs, and as it was late we proceeded to order ravenously.  This meal was from last year, so honestly I have do not remember what we ate (I think we got polenta, catfish and 2 types of lamb, among other things), but it was great.  Everything we ordered was hearty and delicious.  I'm always saying how I don't like white people food (really, I mean I prefer Asian food), but if I were to have white people food, I like this kind of simple foods (don't take that to mean the flavours were simple, some really were very complex and super delish), vs molecular super cool super fancy super expensive ones.

If I had to go to Oakland, or recommend an Oakland restaurant, Mua would definitely make the list!  Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment