Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Plaj, SF

We took my FIL to Plaj to celebrate his Swedish heritage for his 65th birthday.  I had resisted going here, just coz the menu looked rather unexciting and I had heard mixed reviews about this place.  But it seemed fitting for a Swedish man to celebrate his 65th at a Swedish restaurant, so here we went.

We ordered the herring, smoked salmon and meat platter for starters.  They were all good, but I felt these were things we could obtain on our own.  The presentation was great though and definitely something I would not to to replicate.  Then we ordered a full portion of meatballs and the gnocchi with mushrooms.  Again, the meatballs were good, but I felt I could get them really cheaply at the Nordic store.  The gnocchi was my favourite dish, perfectly rolled and cooked potato dumplings and crispy on the outside.  I adored the hen of the wood mushrooms, but one one else seemed to like them much though (good for me, I had extra!).

For dessert we had the princess cake and "Northern Lights: chocolate terrine, lingonberry sorbet, italian meringue".  Princess cake is one of my favourite cakes (practically ever cake is one of my favourite cakes, but let us roll with this one), but their take on it was quite unique.  The had the cake with the layers of cream and jam in a jar, and a marzipan layer covered the top of the jar, tied by twine.  It was a good cake.  The Northern Lights was a chocolate and lingonberry layer covered by meringue, more like marshmellows actually.  Not bad, but objectively not my favourite thing in the world.

I think the portions for the savoury food were small for the prices.  The food was good, not spectacular.  Presentation was wonderful and innovative.  I would pass on this for a second visit.  I had low expectations, but was extremely pleasantly surprised, and I think it actually was a good restaurant and meal.


No comments:

Post a Comment