Friday, August 1, 2014

Iceland Day 3 - Reykjavik

There's not much to do in Reykjavik itself.  Today was spent wandering somewhat aimlessly, visiting maybe 5-8 grocery stores, doing absolutely nothing.  The fabulous news is I have not suffered too poorly from jetlag.  I took a nap each of the first 2 days here, slept about 8 or 9 hours through last night, and I feel fantastico!

It is really nice to have so much daylight.  It really keeps my spirits up.  Reminds me of my time in Alaska.  It is not as cold as I imagined, and I hope it continues this way because I did not bring that many clothes.

Saw a cool hill.  Did some research and found out it was Þúfa, a small man made hill, 26 meters in diameter and 8 meters high, with stone steps to reach the top. On the top is a small fishing shed where the plan is to hang shark and different types of fish for drying.  Stole this info from this website.

We were not too adventurous in terms of food after yesterday.  I feel a bit sad that I am at this point unable to continue on my "local" food hunt like I normally do when in foreign land, but yesterday was such a scary experience.  Today we visited Fiskmarkaðurinn/Fish Market and Ramen Momo, both substantially better experiences than yesterday's lunch.

Also my phone charger cord broke and I had to go to MacLand, the local computer store that cost a fortune, which set me back about $30.  :-(  On a happy note I have a very unique pretty blue cord that I am sure no one in the USA has.

Tomorrow we begin our driving journey and I'm very excited for that!

Þúfa.

Icelandic horse doo doo.  Yum?

Lunch at Fiskmarkaðurinn.  We had sushi but did not try the cooked fish.  Salmon was pretty good, tuna was just so so.

Ramen Momo.  Udon with shrimp tempura and ramen with chicken.  Comfort food, hit the spot, but coming from a big city I cannot rave toooooo much.

No comments:

Post a Comment