Monday, June 23, 2014

The Mill, SF

It was just a matter of time before I visited this place.  Having heard so much about it, I knew I would have to show up to try this famed super expensive toast.  I had 2 friends who came separately a couple of weeks ago and had some jam toast which they highly recommend (one was the Dawg, actually).  The Dawg, Lingon and I keep thinking of visiting after dinner, but again places in SF close early which is just SO frustrating.  Anyway, the Dawg and I finally made it here.

Sadly the bread that the jam toast was spread on was out of the weekly rotation.  So, we ordered:
1)  Cream cheese with ground pepper and sea salt on dark mountain rye and
2)  Dark brown sugar and cinnamon with butter on cinnamon raisin bread.
The breads used here for the toast are made by Josey Baker Bread.  The mountain rye was dense and nutty flavoured, and the cinnamon raisin bread was soft and fluffy.  Both were delish!  The loafs were sliced, and the placed facing downwards to prevent the bread from drying out.  The slices were sliced just before they were put in the toasters, so no mass slicing.  Some slices got the honour of being put in a couple of different toasters, to toast to perfection.  Then the spreads on both toasts were lovingly spread by the toastmaster (I'm sure that means a different thing).  (Read: the lady took FOREVER to spread the toppings on the toast.)  It was clear that the toppings were of higher quality, and the combinations were killer.  But would I pay $3.50-$4 for toast again?  Maybe, to try different flavours.  Maybe I would find my dream toast.  Maybe I should The Mill to kaya!!


No comments:

Post a Comment